Thu, January 2nd, 2014
New Year’s Day Concert 2014
Posted in the Concert Reports Category
St. Davids Cathedral 1 January 2014
Simon Pearce organ
New Year’s Day started weatherwise as an organiser’s problem, fairly usual, but no snow at least. In a few hours there was a definite improvement and in came the hardy and hopeful enthusiasts, many from considerable distance from the Cathedral.
From comments gleaned it would seem that most departing from the “act of worship” as described by one of the eminent musicians present, the weather was a minor diversion. The music and its performance defied the elements. This particular event in the Singers calendar is, it has been said, to be that hopeful sound of a new beginning to many.
For the 23rd consecutive time the now traditional offering of established and new music was heard in all its glory. About thirty voices under the direction of John S.Davies and accompanied by organist Simon Pearce, expressed the heights and depths of choral music at its best – devotional and praiseful. Tom Hunt baritone and other solo voices, members of the Singers, were accomplished contributors.
- Cantata BWV140 (excerpt) J.S.BACH
- A song was heard at Christmas Gareth TRESEDER
- Christmas Day HOLST
- There is a flower and Arise, Shine John RUTTER
- O men from the fields COOKE
- Ave Maris Stella GRIEG
- Fantasia on Christmas carols VAUGHAN WILLIAMS
- Lw-li, lw-li Meirion WYNN JONES
- Evening Hymn BALFOUR GARDINER
- O lux Beata MENDELSSOHN
- Gweddi’r Arglwydd Eric JONES
- High let us swell our tuneful song William REYNOLDS